Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Nationals


How things went:

1.  I slept well.  In my earliest tournaments, this was a huge problem.  Now I'm older, wiser, and I have ambien.  I do think there's an ambien effect that lingers in the mornings, but I tried to push that back with a lot of caffeine, to random effect.

2.  My struggle to get enough calories (at tournaments) continues.  The last two events I've just gone with nutrition drinks.  THIS time I went with nutrition drinks that are for gaining weight, 350 calories a teeny bottle.  (My dietary requirements are funky and I eat very slowly; that plus nerves will starve me.)  I think the super-plus nutrition drinks helped.  Four a day gave me a 1400-calorie base to work from.

3.  Nerves!  I hardly had any.  I will have more to say about this at some point.

4.  I drew reasonably well.  I think I always do.  (I say this even in the current environment, because it's true.)  32 blanks in 30 games (two against Chris Lipe, as usual), but I also had a lot of racks "just at the right time":  FIDDLY for 66, etc.  Very few impossible racks.

5.  I need to calibrate my caution/challenges a little better, but it's improved over the last few events.  Overall I think I had one phony challenged off (WI*, which was not a real attempt at a word), two left on the board.  Obviously this means I chickened out of a few things.  I earned some +5s.  I spent some +5s, but not too many, and left four (I think) of my opponents' phonies on the board -- one of which I was astonished was bad and thought nothing of, one of which I worried about (agarized*), one of which I left on because I could lose if it were GOOD, and the fourth which I completely screwed up, thinking I was being all strategic, and then losing on recount the game I thought I had won against SamK on a play I hadn't noticed he'd underscored.  My own fault.  If I challenge his phony off, I win; if I've been paying better attention to the scoring throughout, I make a different call at the end -- and I just hadn't given myself the correct info to use to make the decision.  Plus, it was a ridiculous three. (There were several misscores in the game, including one of my own.)

6.  Class prizes:  it feels wrong to get a cash prize over someone who actually placed ahead of me.  I'll probably fold most of it back into the game somehow -- put some towards next year's prize fund if possible, etc.  Having said THAT, it felt pretty cool :)  I'm of two minds, obviously.

7.  People were awesome.  The Collins divisions that we usually get to play are small and involve multiple repeats -- and those repeats move from tournament to tournament.  This time I got to play many folks I'd never played before, which was a real treat.

8.  For thirty one-hour sessions, I blocked out the world of bad news and stupid news.  It was marvelous.


Edit to add: edited August 2013, to remove whitewashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment