Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Charlotte post-mortem, the big picture

You know how if you're really hungry, whatever you eat tastes extra great?  That's what it felt like to play tournament games again.  The losses, of which there were a whole lot, didn't bug me at all during the event.  It was just so enjoyable to PLAY.  I was starved for it.

But now it's the next day, and there are those losses to consider.  There are some obvious errors that I don't think I would make if I were playing tournaments more regularly, and there are some more subtle ones that I need to go over.

Changes I'm making:  

1.  No more void games for me ever.  Unfortunately, the facebook type games are all void (that I know of).  They give me bad habits, and I'm done with them.

2.  John and I have agreed to play by the 10-point challenge for our kitchen games.  I'm a cautious player and don't phony much -- but I don't challenge enough either.  I need to get more practice at making the nuanced decisions that are involved with 10-point challenge.

3.  We re-upped our mosaic account for ISC.  Anybody want to play against the two of us?

4.  More studying.  That's not really a change.  I just need to keep it up.  I wish there were a collins boggle site.  I wish my son and daughter would make me a collins boggle site for my birthday.

5.  John and I play each other a lot, but I think there's a bubble effect that is happening; we get so that we are used to each other's word knowledge and board play.  It might not be a huge effect, but it's an effect.  We are going to play more ISC games at least, so that we keep bringing in other styles to mitigate that bubble effect a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment